TechRepublic had a blog post with 10 issues to consider when developing a cross-platform backup strategy. I think it comes down to just these 5 things to consider about a backup solution.
- Does your backup application support all of the necessary platforms?
- Does your backup software support anything more than a file level backup of operating systems?
- What is the Capacity? And will it be enough in 3 years? Is it expandable?
- High availability of data and the integrity of that data should be considerations as well.
- Does your proposed solution comply with federal archival requirements?