The best data I have seen on broadband and TV has come from Cable One (top 10 MSOs), since the CEO there declared 3 years ago that it was going to de-emphasize TV and focus on broadband.
When Cable One acquired NewWave cable in 2016, they released this data. 428k homes passed, 23.5% video penetration, 25.8% broadband penetration. Overall Cable One has a 31% broadband penetration of homes passed.
Light Reading reports, "Cable One's strategy to focus on broadband and de-emphasize pay-TV continued to play out in Q1 2019, as the operator saw its average revenue per unit (ARPU) reach an industry high among its US peers. ... A residential broadband ARPU of $70.80 in Q1 made Cable One the first publicly traded US cable operator to eclipse the $70 mark, according to Craig Moffett, an analyst with MoffettNathanson."
Cable One's average data usage at the end of Q1 was 290 gigabytes per month.
4 Reasons TV is Changing & Declining:
- The term cable is becoming extinct [HERE]
- Comcast and Cox have added Amazon Prime and Netflix as a channel.
- Hotels now have channels on the TV to login to Netflix, Amazon and Hulu to reduce the TV costs for the company.
- "The firm said that about 31 million U.S. consumers, 12% of the adult population are Cord Nevers (CNs)." [source]
It isn't about the triple play as much as it is giving your customers options and value -- and explaining that value. Choice & Value.
Gigabit penetration nationwide is just 6%, but it gets them to buy higher speeds.
- Do you customers have a computer? Tablets? Alexa? Hardware-as-a-service, folks!
- Do you rent Apple TVs or Roku?
- If you sell fixed wireless, do you offer HDTV antennas?
- If you sell voice, do you block Robocalls?
Business or home wi-fi is very important. Comcast knows it.
U.S. broadband households now have an average of 9.1 connected devices,” said Brad Russell, Research Director, Connected Home, Parks Associates.
Charter re-branded as Spectrum. Cable One is re-branding as Sparklight. Verizon has FiOS.
- Do you have a product brand?
- Did you have a service launch plan for your fiber?
- Are you using CRM?
- What tactics are you using to reach customers? List them.
- How are you tracking each campaign/tactic?
Pew Research data on household demographics - Home broadband use by income [here]
About 65% or more than 164 million adults in the United States play video games, according to a new video game demographics report from the Entertainment Software Association (ESA). [source]
TELEHEALTH:"Nearly a quarter (22%) of physicians have used telehealth to see patients, and a new telehealth forecast suggests that 61% of doctors will use it by 2022." [source]
Microsoft's Airband Program is looking for partners. AT&T's FirstNet wants more rural partners.