Gary Kim explains the rules on the NTIA disbursement of funds on TMCnet. All interested parties should read it.
- It is not yet clear that many "for profit" companies will be allowed to bid...
- The statute directs NTIA to seek state advice on how funds should be spent in each of the respective states. The statute does not bind NTIA to follow those suggestions.
- in time for disbursement of a third of the funds by this summer
- defining what an "underserved" area is will be highly contentious.
- But NTIA also is directed to favor projects that provide educational or employment opportunities using broadband access/deployment/infrastructure;
- Projects must show that they would not be undertaken but for the grant. But such projects also should show how they increase affordability of or subscriber-ship to, broadband to the greatest populations.
- Projects that offer high broadband speeds also will be favored, as well as projects that enhance healthcare, or serve education or children.