Jennifer Rice of What's Your Brand Mantra and Corante's BrandShift is a brand strategist and evangelist for relationship-centric brands. In speaking to libraries about the 6 major consumer trends that impact everyone...including libraries:
- Convenience (Fast food, Delivery, Concierge services)
- Community ("I want to belong!", grassroots, collaborative economy. Bowling Alone, Maslow's hierarchy.)
- Control ("I want to learn it and do it myself." The era of empowerment.) Empowering brands: Nike, Google, Home Depot "You can do it, we can help."
- Choice ("I've got to have options." Age of abundance...Choice maximizers." The Paradox of Choice) Choice-maximizing brands: Google, eBay, Amazon, Netflix ---> Convenience and Choice are things that people are willing to pay for. They'll tell you Free is important--but when push comes to shove, I'm willing to pay.
- Experience ("Wow me." Word of Mouth marketing--you'll listen to your friends, but not to advertising. Your actions are your marketing.
- Commoditization--The internet has commoditized information--but it cannot commoditize an experience: taste, touch, smell, sight, service. The senses in your library...put a fountain in? Experiential brands: Starbucks, Dave & Busters, Niketown, Borders (Edu-tainment)
Take just one idea here and RUN WITH IT!!!!