Tom Peters, management guru and author of In Search of Excellence, has a list of about 20 companies that he thinks shows Excellence. He later picks 3 as his co-MVP companies: Commerce Bank, John Laing Homes, and Jim's Group. What makes a company "Excellent"? "summarized the traits that marked not only these three champions, but my whole group of 20 or so:
- Focused on revenue, organic growth and "offense," not defense and cost containment.
- People-talent obsession.
- Provide mind-bending experiences. (Driven by design primacy.)
- Nuts about customers.
- Happy to use words like "Wow."
- Pretty close to the high end of the market.
- Ability to make silk purses filled with gold out of sows' ears.
How many of those traits do you demonstrate? Wow (or Remarkable or Purple) and Execution are the 2 biggest. John Jantsch has a post about strategy before tactics that sounds like something I would write.